Thursday, October 25, 2012

Crispy, Succulent Char Siu @ Meng Kee Char Siu, Glenmarie

I've had a lot of char siu (barbecued roast pork) in my life and this is by far, the best ever!

To start off, this little 'restaurant' (by that I mean your typical chinese kopitiam with RM16 Tiger beer bottles and all the iced chinese tea you can get) is located in Glenmarie. 

For directions, click HERE for the link to Google Maps.

Meng Kee also serves steam/roasted chicken, siew yok (roast pork belly - this usually has a crispy layer on top), siew cheong (roasted chinese sausage - made out of pig innards), vegetables (like taugeh, kailan, etc).

There were 2 of us and this is what we had...

Steam Chicken


Steam chicken was good, no complaints but not enough for me to be craving it.
(yes, I know, I'm picky & fussy)
Rated: 6.5/10

Siew Cheong

So unhealthy but what the heck, you only live once! 
It doesn't have the 'smell' of innards that makes it difficult to eat. Instead, its sweet & salty with no disgusting-hard-lard-bits when chewing them. Extra brownie points there!
Rated 7.5/10

Taugeh

Okay, I love vegetables (& meat of course) and you can't go wrong with taugeh anyway.
But I gotta say, kudos to Meng Kee for using fresh and young taugeh i.e. the taugeh doesn't have "tails" that make it look unpresentable and unappetizing.
Rated: 7.5/10

And the best of all: 
the CHAR SIU

Roasted to perfection 
It even has the the slightly burnt but not over-burnt bits that will keep you popping it into your mouth like popcorn at the movies! (if only we could...)

Mmmmm, ooooooh...

No char siu is complete without the thin layer of fat :) mmm...

I.have.no.words.to.describe.the.char.siu.
The best I can do is: its sweet, crispy, delicious, tender.
And that's an understatement.
Rated: 9.5/10
(the 0.5 is for health reasons only)

I would go to Meng Kee EVERYDAY if my blood vessels and heart wouldn't passively complain with sever consequences ;)

The d.e.borak rating:

EXTRAORDINARY

2 comments: